24 January 2006

Currently Reading

I just finished Julie and Julia : 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen. I think I read it in 5 days. Sometimes books suck me in like that and I can't let go. This book amused me with it's confessional style. Much of the book came from Julie Powell's blog The Julie/Julia Project in which she recorded her half-crazed year of attempting to cook her way through Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I admired Julie's grim determination to make it all the way through the 524 recipes in one year. I confess that I would not have the grit nor the stomach to make it through culinary delicacies made of calfsfoot gelatin or bone marrow or any of the other aweful bits of offal that the French seem to take in stride.

But a little part of me understands what would motivate a 29-year-old office temp to take on a project of this magnitude. I understand the desire to be consumed by a project, a passion, a plan. While I am not tempted to master the art of French cooking, I wonder what my next all-consuming project will be. I only hope it does not include multiple trips to butcher shops.

No comments:

Followers