24 October 2011

Design * Sponge Book Signing and Craft Event



I think I've been a fan of Grace Bonney and Design*Sponge for as long as I've been addicted to the internet.  And that's a long time, folks!  I subscribe to most blogs  for a couple of months, and then unsubscribe as I lose interest and move on to greener pastures.  But Design*Sponge, Design*Sponge stays in my reader.  It is always fresh and clean and modern.  It features both professional designers and DIY projects, aspirational high-end looks and creative homes decorated on shoestring budgets.   I always find something unique or interested on Design*Sponge.

When Design*Sponge decided to branch out to the printed page, I was ecstatic!  I love interior design books more than I am willing to admit in public.  And I knew Grace would have a fresh take and feature creative people in their own homes.

IMG_1907_edited-1
I was even more excited when I heard that, instead of a traditional book reading/signing, Grace and Company were hosting craft events around the country.  I signed up right away and coerced  my housemate to go with me (it didn't take much arm twisting).  The event was held at the Cleaners at the Ace Hotel which is one of my favorite Portland venues.  The craft chosen for the day was a block printing project.

I'll have to admit that I was so excited to see the book and Grace, that the printing project was an afterthought for me.  I was mostly enjoying watching other people make their projects, taking photos, talking to Grace and looking at my lovely new Design*Sponge book.

IMG_1930
IMG_1921
IMG_1923_edited-1
IMG_1914_edited-1

I only printed a small portion of the fabric I brought along.   I'm thinking that I might attempt block printing curtains for the Sprout's room.  I'll let you know if that comes to fruition. 

In the meantime, I am thoroughly enjoying the Design*Sponge book, and I think it would be a great Christmas gift for a friend or family member who has an eye for design and an interest in DIY.

-----------

You can see "official" photos of the craft event and book signing over here, if you're curious.




 

No comments:

Followers