02 May 2007

Recently Read: Jesus Land


The memoir of a girl raised in Indiana in a very religious family. Her family adopts two African-American boys who struggle with racism in lily-white Indiana. She ends up at a reform school run by New Horizons and then later at Taylor University.

When I read the synopsis on the back cover, I knew I had to read it. While I am intensely grateful that my childhood and adolescent experiences with the church were overwhelmingly positive, I can easily see how many churches and religious institutions can be guilty of abuse. Julie Scheere's childhood was somewhat parellel to mine, but she had the opposite experience.

I recommend this book to anyone who is not afraid to observe the ugly side of racism and religious fundamentalism from a raw, first-hand point of view. It is written honestly with little rancor, but clearly Julia and her brother deserved better from their family, church, teachers and community. I hope writing the book brought her some healing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That sounds fascinating! I'm going to have to pick that up. d

Followers