03 February 2008

IKEA Hack: Dog Bed

It's not that artsy and it's not that crafty but here's what I sewed this week--a dog bed.

We have two large dogs--one of them incontinent. They had two beds but they always wanted to be in the same one. The solution: buy a cheap IKEA crib mattress (cheaper than the 4" foam at the local craft super-store and definitely cheaper than the giant dog beds at the pet store), cover it with a water-proof crib sheet and sew a cover out of leftover fabric. Viola! A dog bed large enough for two with a removable cover that can be easily washed.

Maybe they'll stay on their bed all night now instead of furtively sneaking over to sleep on the couch once we're in bed....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very, very clever! My dogs live outside, but I have friends and family with inside dogs and this would be a great gift idea.

BTW...I made a bowl out of that really beautiful fabric you sent me. THANK YOU!!! (I'll try to post a photo in the next day or so on my blog so you can see your stash in action!)

Heather

Cottonista said...

Great idea!

I love your dogs. Are they kid-friendly?

Followers