05 August 2010

Japanese Sewing Class, Part 3

IMG_7563

Now for the technical sew-y part about this dress: Despite the fact that I added 4 inches to this dress over the largest Japanese size and did the most ridiculously tiny rolled hem, this dress is only JUST long enough to wear by itself. My husband thinks it looks great (as he should :) but I intend to wear it with leggings or tights and boots and layer a cardigan or jacket over it this fall.

When I added the length, I initially just added it to the skirt but, as you can see there is a back bodice piece and then the skirt is attached. When I stitched the skirt to the bodice it was hilariously high. I appeared to have a skirt coming out of my bra line! It wasn't so hilarious when I had to rip it all out and recut a longer bodice (by two inches). I also ended up extending the front pleats (or are they darts?) by two inches and moving the bust dart down two inches. Doggone tiny tiny tiny Japanese women!

I was a little fearful that this full tunic would have the dread pregnant effect. It is pretty loose but overall I am pleased with how it turned out and I feel comfortable wearing it. I even wore it out on a (rare) date with the Wise and Bearded One the other night. He obligingly took these photos.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

nicely done!

Miss Prickly said...

Love, love, love how it turned out. I'm glad that you didn't give up on it.

Followers