After the first version of this Oliver + S dress, I made a few small changes. First I moved up to the 3T and decided to only minimally hem the sleeves and skirt so there's plenty of height for my tall girl to grow into. I decided to line the entire bodice with iron-on interfacing to keep it from stretching out all funky like the first one. This worked great and the interfacing I used is soft enough to still let the neck opening flex enough for my girl to get dressed without distress.
I copied out a simple legging pattern from a Japanese children's clothing book. I was able to cut both the dress and leggings out of 1 yard of fabric. (Yay! I love minimal-waste sewing.)
Then I went to a Friday Night Sew-cial at Modern Domestic and cranked out versions 3 and 4 in less than three hours. I love having sewed the same pattern enough times that it comes together quickly and easily. I love being able to use MD's serger even more. Ah, bliss! The serger whips out knit garments so quickly! I serged the hems too so they're neatly finished but extra long for my quickly-growing Sprout.
Here's the Sprout's spring wardrobe--4 dresses, 3 pairs of leggings, a green polka dot t-shirt and some soft green corduroy pants. I have green polka dot knit fabric too but when I dug into the box of 3T hand-me-downs I found this polka dot shirt and pants already made. Now I'm thinking that I'll use the green fabric to make a little jacket to round out the collection. Perhaps it's time for another Little Woo.
Like I mentioned earlier, the Sprout is not a cooperative model these days. Here's the best photo I could get of her. Zoned out, watching cartoons, with her hand up her shirt. Yup, she plays with her belly button or her chest pretty much constantly. We're hoping that if we ignore it, she'll quit doing it on her own before she hits adolescence.