21 October 2011

Not-a-Fashion-Blog Friday: My Body Gallery

Although I would never claim to know a lot about fashion, I read a lot of fashion blogs and think about body image, apparel, and personal style on a daily basis.  Occasionally on Fridays I highlight something "fashionable" that's caught my attention.

----------

My Body Gallery

In my conversations with other women, I know that almost all of us struggle with living comfortably in our own skin.  We think we're too fat, too skinny, too curvy, too straight.  And I'm always amused when one my beautiful women friends exclaims about how her boobs are too big, her butt is too flat or some other perceived figure flaw.   Learning to love our bodies is a challenge when we're constantly deluged with "perfectly" shaped celebrities and models.

That's why I love My Body Gallery.  Real women from all over upload their own photos so you can see what a woman who is 5'7" and 174 pounds looks like (just for example, not like I know anyone who is 5'7" and 174 pounds, of course!).

"In a world full of images of how we "should" look it can get difficult to tell how we DO look.  Our hope is to build a site where women can see what real women look like.  What we really look like.  Most women have spent so many years looking at themselves in mirrors that we can no longer see what's really there.  The My Body Gallery project's goal is to help women objectively see what we look like and come to some acceptance that we are all beautiful."

I think it's a fabulous project.  And I hope other women around the country upload their images and view the gallery to see that women's bodies are incredibly diverse and all beautiful.

No comments:

Followers