22 July 2010
Sewing Knits: Fail!
I like it when other artists and crafters show the Projects-That-Didn't-Turn-Out, so I thought I would show you one of my first attempts at sewing knits this spring.
This was my attempt at the 90-Minute Shirt from Made and then a pair of yoga pants that fit well that I tried to trace off and recreate. First of all I cut up a onesy that was too small for the Sprout and used that to trace the shirt pattern. I thought I compensated by adding to the center fold to increase the size but apparently I didn't compensate enough. Result: instant belly shirt that immediately rides up. I also put the front and the back shoulders together incorrectly so it just looks WRONG. And, somehow, I ended up making the pants much too long. But that's ok, because she's growing like a weed so they'll fit just fine some day soon.
This was sewn from my pile of discarded t-shirts so I didn't feel too bad that it is a complete flop. Plus the Sprout can wear them as pajamas and no one will ever see them in the light of day.
I'd like to attempt the 90-Minute Shirt again because the IDEA was good. It's just the execution that stunk :)