23 November 2011

Pre-Thanksgiving Day

Well, I didn't get to any of the things I wanted to this weekend.  I was battling a cold toward the end of the week and on Saturday and Sunday, the cold was winning.  I went to the doctor.  She confirmed it was just a really bad cold (on top of the vestiges of an earlier cold) and told me to go home and rest.  So I did. 

"Resting" is interpreted in my world to mean surfing the internet from the couch for hours on end.  Here's some things I've been crushing on.  Hard.

----------

Figgy's

Once upon a time, I did some pattern testing for Patterns by Figgy's.  I even met the designer, Shelly Figuroa, in the park for a play date once, and I can attest that she is a genuinely-kind Midwestern woman transplanted to the Pacific Northwest and that her patterns are have great directions that even a beginning sewist could figure out. 

I also took a Japanese sewing class at Modern Domestic with Daniela Crane, and I know she is a talented designer and has a great eye for uniquely-modern clothing.

Figgy's is Shelly and Daniella's new collaboration of patterns. I am madly in love with this little jacket out of Pendleton wool and the dress and legging pattern. 

So many sewing patterns seem boring, uninspired or old-fashioned.  These look modern and clean to my eye.  I know part of it is the fabric selection and styling, but I am madly, madly in love with them.  Did I say that already?!

----------

Schoolhouse Electric & Supply Co. 

We have Schoolhouse Electric light fixtures in our kitchen, and I have loved their classic, utilitarian products and showroom ever since we arrived in Portland.  I heard the rumblings on the internet that they were extending their line to products for the whole house, and this week the catalog came in the mail.

Ah. May. Zing.  I want whoever styled those photos to come live in my house.  Right now.  They seem to have found that perfect mix of spare utilitarian objects mixed with warm woods and textiles that somehow reads vintage and modern simultaneously.

And it makes me all wanty inside.  You can see their catalog here. 

----------

I am quite committed to no Christmas before Thanksgiving.  But the Friday AFTER Thanksgiving is the perfect day to spend crafting homemade gifts.  In fact, I host "Craft Friday" every year on "black" Friday.  If you're a Portlander and would like to come hang out with other women and get your craft on, please leave a comment below and I'll email you my contact info. 

Today is the day to gather supplies.  If you're looking for ideas here are some DIY gifts that I've made in other years:

Quick and Easy:
Photo Magnets
Felt Barrettes

Slightly More Complicated:
Doll Maker's Kit
Freezer Paper Printed Jersey Scarves
Fizzy Bath Bombs
Natural Lip Balm
Basic Bath Salts
Freezer Paper Printed T Shirts


What are you making this year? I'm still gathering supplies and ideas for gifts this year.  I'd love to hear what you're up to.












No comments:

Followers